In this joyous season of fights over cutting federal spending, I merely note the following.
- U.S. Population: 307,000,000
- Federal Spending: $3.55 trillion
- Federal Spending per person: $11,564
- Federal Spending for a family of four: $46,254
- U.S. Median Household Income: $49,777
So, before factoring in state income taxes, local income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, excise taxes, etc., the federal government is spending nearly the median household income all by itself. The current proposal to cut $100 billion is pissing in the wind.
Update: fixed the rather important typo.